In our life, at some point or the other, we all have been at a realization where starting a fitness journey becomes crucial and need of the hour. The enthusiasm and zeal to begin are usually daunted by the how’s and what’s. There are gazillions of ideas and suggestions that start pouring in regarding diet, workout, sleep, water intake, goal weight, supplements, duration etc. An individual who picks up the right path can actually end up getting desired results but if not guided properly or gets confused, he/she may end up struggling and for people who don’t know, this struggle is real.
These very basic starters for your fitness journey might be exactly what you are looking for:
- Set a practical goal: The first and the foremost step to take is to set a realistic goal which can be achieved in a set period of time. Often people tend to set bigger goals to be completed in a very short period of time which might not be the right thing to do and there are chances that it will leave you demotivated and off track. For example, ½ a kg to 1 kg of weight loss per week is what you should be working for.
- Choose a physical activity that you can be consistent with: Often in the hunger of losing weight and being new on this journey, people take up a routine that they might not be happy with and end up getting bored and undisciplined. Therefore, one must pick up an exercise regime that he/ she loves doing and can be regular with because it is not about months, it is about a lifetime. It can be anything from the gym, dance, aerobics, yoga, Zumba but you must love what you choose.
- Get rid of all the junk food in the house: Another very easy step that can lead to discipline is getting rid of all the junk food in the house and replace it with all the healthy foods. This way, whenever, you are hungry, you will always grab a healthier option for yourself like a fruit or nuts rather than hogging on a bag of chips.
- Lift weights: This has proven to be one of the most effective ways to lose weight, build some muscle, fire up your metabolism and burn fat. Lifting weights also give you the benefit of having a very fewer chance of your weight bouncing back if you are doing it consistently. Start slow and light, then progress to heavy weights and more number of reps.
- Be realistic: Before you start your journey, understand that there will be failures, your body will hit plateaus, you will be demotivated at times, you will be distracted from your diet regime and there will be a struggle. The sooner you realize this, the sooner you will be hitting your goals. The key is to keep going and not stopping.
- Eat right and drink lots of water: Focus on getting a portion of protein and veggies in all your meals as they will keep you satiated for a longer period of time and stay hydrated. Often people tend to confuse hunger with thirst. Make sure you drink at least 12 glasses of water in a day and you know how beneficial water is for your skin too.
- Trust yourself: Never ever lose hope in yourself and always trust your abilities because it is your journey alone. No one else is going to come and do it for you. Often, in between when our body hits a plateau, we lose faith in ourselves and stop working hard. This is the point where we need to restore faith in ourselves, get up and come back even stronger.
- Don’t beat yourself up and don’t compare: Do not forget that it is about you and only you. In this journey, do not get too harsh on yourself if you will end up end up losing all the zeal and you had in the beginning. Comparing yourself to others or the models on social media also hamper your progress because it does let you see the real progress that you have been making over time.
- Reward yourself and make the process fun: Rewards always does not have to be in the form of cheat meals. It could be from visiting your favorite place to gifting yourself a pair of shoes, from buying new gym wears to dancing on your favorite track with your best friend. Make the process fun and do not let it be boring with time. Try out new physical activities, try new healthy recipes, try creating healthier versions of your favorite cheat meals.
- Choose the right supplements: The micro and macro nutrients are very important for our bodies and sometimes we do not get enough of these from natural food sources. Make sure you do a thorough research on the required supplements as per your goals and do not forget that supplements will only work if you have discipline in terms of diet and workouts.