A lot of people think that fats are not good for you especially those pursuing a weight loss program. But the truth is that certain fats are required by the body as they absorb vital nutrients and vitamins from the food we take. Some vitamins are only fat soluble which means that a certain amount of good fats is required by the body to function properly. Some such kinds of fats that you should not be cutting back on are Omega 3 Fatty acids.
Omega 3 fatty acids are incredibly important because of their powerful health benefits for the body and the brain. There are three types of omega 3 fatty acids – EPA, DHA and ALA. The first two are primarily found in certain kinds of fish but the third one can be found in various nuts, seeds and other plant sources making it a viable option for vegans as well.
Here are some of the main benefits of Omega 3 Fatty Acids:
- They have proved beneficial in the treatment of various medical conditions such as – high cholesterol, depression & anxiety, Cancer, diabetes, inflammation, arthritis, infertility, Alzheimer’s, skin diseases like eczema etc.
- Omega-3 has also been shown to support weight loss, healthy pregnancy, athletic recovery and thickening hair and nails.
- Omega 3’s are prescribed to people for heart health a lot since they have the capacity to regulate heart beat and reduce blood pressure as well. They have proven to decrease cholesterol and high triglycerides also leading to reduction in number of heart attacks and strokes.
- They decrease blood clot formation.
- Omega 3’s also suppressing inflammation which studies have shown acts as a catalyst in certain types of cancer. Consuming an adequate dosage of omega 3’s can help prevent cancer.
- Omegas 3’s are also beneficial for brain health. They have proven themselves to be efficient in curing depression, ADHD, anxiety and other such orders. They also help in slowing the ageing process thereby causing a decline in cognitive degeneration which helps prevent diseases like Alzheimer’s and Dementia.
- Omega 3’s have also proved themselves to be indispensable in bone health and reducing joint pain.
Top 10 Omega 3 Foods List
4 oz: 1.45g
4 oz: 1.34 g
4 oz: 1.25g
4) Grass-fed beef
4 oz: 1.1g
2 Tbsp: 3.2g
6) Chia Seeds
2 tbsp: 2.5g
¼ cup: 2.3g
4 oz: 0.52g
4 oz: 0.33g
10) Grass-fed Dairy
8 oz: .25g
Other natural sources high in omega 3 for the vegans include brussel sprouts, cauliflower and seaweed.
Deficiency of Omega 3 – Symptoms
One should try and consume 2-3 servings a day from this omega 3 foods list. If you can’t take in the required amount of Omega 3 naturally you should supplement with an omega 3 fish oil daily.
A deficiency of Omega 3 can cause poor memory, dry skin, heart problems, mood swings, joint pain and autoimmune disease.
The most common people who are omega-3 deficient include those who consume a large amount of processed foods, hydrogenated oils, and those on a vegan or vegetarian diet.